Friday, September 28, 2007

Full Moon...Tides and Undercurrents

Never believe weather reports. Today, despite the forecast of rain and possible thunderstorms (50%) we had a gorgeous day with some interesting challenges. Apparently the full moon phase we are in results in very high tides and very low tides which fuel an undercurrent that can be a huge factor in one's sailing strategy. What is amazing are all the factors that you have to keep in mind when sailing. Sailing involves some meteorology, geometry (especially angles), earth science, and even astrology (moon phases and tides). Then there is the "on-course" strategy--playing offense--pushing defense--following the pack or being a lone pressure rider. You get the idea. I am learning every day and each day has its own factors that need to be analyzed and strategically planned for. That is why I love sailing so much: no two days (and often no two races) are ever the same. It is a constant challenge. I like a challenge.

Mark had a great birthday and today we went for some authentic Mexican food--and that was awesome (I'm not a food fan, so for me that is some good food). We talked about today and some basic techniques that I need to work on as well as goals we have. We have begun to co-strategies, which is great. I like to be "aggressive" with some of my sailing tactics, and I like Mark's ability to sail the high angles. Together, we can give some folks a run for their money. Teamwork is vital and Mark likes the input. Like Ms. S in the classroom--Mark is democratic about tactics n the water and will make executive decisions as they are needed. This is definitely a change, a growth in our partnership.

We continue practices through the weekend and will take a day of rest. It is hard work. Ibuprofen is my friend. I hope everyone has a good weekend. I'll get some new pictures up soon too.
Amy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy-
It sounds like you're having a blast. When is your 1st race? We are missing you at school!
Stay dry & good luck!
Edina

Anonymous said...

Hey again-
I hope the MacBook is working for you -- is that how you're posting these updates to your blog? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think any of the links at the top of your right navigation bar are working. I tried to get to the news article & video sites. No go. Check it out & let me know.
Peace,
Edina

Anonymous said...

you go girl! i love reading about all that you and mark are doing, fog-no fog, high-low tides (isn't the full moon beautiful??). and all the work that mark's dad has done to enable you and mark to manage the sailing challenges. awesome! thanks for your journaling and for including all the photos.
wishing you well, and praying for you, too!

Anonymous said...

i'm the "you go girl" comment writer. me. . .penny

(5:43 comment.)

Anonymous said...

hey ms.S its me nichole how r u i hope ur sailing is going good and we all miss u so good luck and come back soon cuz we need u cuz ms r. is really 2 happy (says cody bubb and alot of other people in our class) but neways cant wait to have you back bye and good luck

nichole stanton

Anonymous said...

Just reading all that you have done each day - makes me tired! You both should be proud of your accomplishments to date - it sounds like you will kick butt when it comes time!

Remember that you have "kids" and family to come back home to - so please be safe. -g

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to see you in school. We miss you.

Jennifer